The RealReal Releases Mid-Year 2018 ‘State of Luxury Resale’ Report and Gucci Unseats Chanel and Louis Vuitton in Search Volume for First Time
From The RealReal press release on PR Newswire
SAN FRANCISCO, Aug. 21, 2018 /PRNewswire/ — The RealReal, the leading luxury consignment company, today released its mid-year luxury resale report with exclusive data charting marketplace trends, bestselling brands and emerging designers in luxury resale. The RealReal’s unique access to data across all luxury brands and its extensive database of 8 million items sold-to-date give the company an unprecedented look at consumer behavior and trends in luxury fashion. The resale market provides an accurate reflection of what’s impacting the luxury retail market as a whole. View the full report here.
“Luxury resale has grown exponentially, and is more mainstream than ever. Both the industry and the public look to the resale market to identify macro and micro trends and to determine what consumers want right now,” said The RealReal Chief Merchant Rati Levesque. “With over 8 million items sold, our data speaks directly to these trends and we’re excited to reveal key insights in this report.”
Report highlights include:
- Who is up and Who is down – Shifts in the top 20 most-searched luxury brands in the first half of 2018.
- Top-selling brands – A breakdown of year-over-year sales growth among the 10 top-selling brands.
- Popular brands – Among millennial women, a look at the top 5 most popular brands consigned and purchased.
- Trends in resale – Brands gaining consignment resale value and brands losing.
- It bags – The iconic, logo-centric styles by heritage brands that are seeing rising resale value – and those seeing declining resale value.
- Men’s industry insights – From top brands millennial men are buying/consigning to the rise of “dad style” and top men’s sneakers by city, a look at how these trends are faring in the secondary market.
Key industry insights:
- Gucci dominates sales growth (62%) and search volume, bumping Chanel and LV from the top spots this year for the first time
- Gucci reigns supreme across all age groups – especially millennials: search for Gucci grew 48% faster among millennials
- Hermès is the fastest-growing brand among millennials, growing 71%.
- Logo bags are increasing in resale value – the Dior Saddle Bag grew by 89% while the Gucci Web grew by 51%.
- Rolex is the top brand purchased by millennial men
- Search for men’s fanny packs increased by 614% while search mens Hawaiian shirts increased by 84%
About The RealReal
The RealReal is the leader in authenticated luxury consignment. With an expert behind every item, we ensure everything we sell is 100% real. We have 90+ in-house gemologists, horologists and brand authenticators who inspect thousands of items available online each day. As a sustainable company, we give new life to pieces by brands from Chanel to Cartier, and hundreds more, supporting the circular economy. We make consigning effortless with free in-home pickup, drop-off service and direct shipping. At our stores in SoHo NYC and Los Angeles, customers can shop and consign and meet with our experts to learn more about luxury authenticity and sustainability. In ten retail locations across the country, our expert staff provides free jewelry, watch and handbag valuations.