Most people today are COMPLETELY unaware of the serious issues behind the enterprise of counterfeit goods. One of the biggest issues facing consumers in the luxury resale market is the sheer volume of bogus designer goods like Louis Vuitton handbags and Gucci bags (you may have seen them on Instagram, posing as authentic luxury sellers).
In this post, we’re referring to replicas, fakes, and counterfeit designer bags, shoes, clothing, jewelry, and watches. The purpose of this post is to bring awareness regarding the true severity of this issue.
Why do people buy counterfeit goods? Many people buy replicas because they can’t afford the real thing, or they want to impress people by carrying a well-known or trendy bag. We’ve seen everything from counterfeit limited edition Chanel bags to fake Rolex watches.
You might be asking yourself: what’s so wrong with buying fake luxury goods?
The REAL Truth About Counterfeit Handbags
The scary truth is that counterfeiting is linked to crimes such as terrorism, human trafficking, drug smuggling, gang activity, and child labor. Counterfeit luxury goods ruin the reputation of brands, contributes to an unethical labor market, and subsidizes organized crime. Imagine that a counterfeit Louis Vuitton handbag may have been stitched by a child that was taken from their parents, then the money used from the sale of it funds a terrorist purchasing weapons.
Counterfeit luxury goods are low-quality and infringe on a brand’s trademark. A trademark can be a symbol, word, or words legally registered to represent a company or product. Trademarks protect a brand’s reputation and allow consumers to distinguish between products in the marketplace. If a fake Louis Vuitton bag (posing as the real thing) falls apart and spills its owners belongings on the floor, witnesses may assume it’s the real thing and think, “WOW, Louis Vuitton bags are NOT worth it if they fall apart like that!” Then LV’s reputation is tarnished.
Louis Vuitton has a specific team dedicated to the management and protection of the company’s intellectual property rights. According to an article about counterfeiting on BBC, a spokesperson from Louis Vuitton reported, “Louis Vuitton believes that it is essential to preserve the house’s ancestral know-how and the work of its craftsmen by fighting the illegal networks that infringe on human rights, the environment and global economy. In 2010, Louis Vuitton initiated 10,673 raids and 30,171 anti-counterfeiting procedures worldwide, resulting in the seizure of thousands of counterfeit products and the breaking up of criminal networks.”
The negative impacts of counterfeiting are projected to drain $4.2 trillion from the global economy, with at least $70 million from fake handbags.
Shopping for pre-owned luxury items isn’t easy and nothing will ruin your day faster than finding out that the handbag you bought on an auction or classifieds website turns out to be a replica.
To avoid buying counterfeit luxury goods: always purchase from an authentic brand boutique or from a trusted pre-owned business that has an established track record of successfully authenticating items (including superfakes), like Yoogi’s Closet.
9 Reasons You Should NEVER Buy Counterfeit Luxury Goods
1. They’re illegal. In the U.S., federal law makes it illegal to knowingly sell counterfeit goods, which includes the production, sale and transport. In some countries, it’s a crime to be in possession of fakes, which may result in fines or even prison time.
2. Counterfeiting funds terrorism.
3. Counterfeiting funds child labor.
4. Counterfeiting funds human trafficking.
5. Counterfeiting is linked to gang activity.
6. Counterfeit bag manufacturers are stealing Intellectual Property.
7. LVMH and Kering (the conglomerates behind the major fashion houses) spend a lot of time and money fighting back against counterfeiting.
8. Fake bags are tacky.
9. Most people who know handbags/designers will know a counterfeit is a fake, even if it’s a good one.
7 Reasons To Always Buy Authentic Luxury Items
1. Designer handbags are collectors items. Buy a Chanel now, then pass it on to your children or relatives as a family heirloom.
2. Authentic handbags are designed and crafted with quality to last a lifetime.
3. Authentic designer bags are investments. Classics like Chanel Flap bags, have a high resale value and gradually increase value over time.
4. Authentic designer bags make a statement about your lifestyle.
5. Don’t think you can afford the real thing? Save $25 dollars a week. After a little over a year, you should be able to afford it.
6. It’s worth investing in one real bag than hundreds of dollars on a “nice counterfeit”. An authentic luxury bag will last you a lifetime.
7. Save money by buying pre-owned from Yoogi’s Closet! Yoogi’s Closet often lists Like New items for 10% or even 20% off retail prices.
The internet and social media are rampant with counterfeit goods–there are more places than ever to shop and show off fashion, and many criminals target the same customers as luxury-goods makers themselves. Many shoppers who purchase counterfeit handbags, accessories and shoes don’t actually know they are buying fakes and believe they are getting the real thing at a really good deal. It’s estimated that $82 billion of sales will be lost due intellectual property infringement.
Our goal, since we first started selling luxury goods out of Yoogi’s real closet in 2008, has been to provide a place where you can buy authenticated pre-owned luxury goods without worry and that’s as safe and satisfying as buying new. Yoogi’s Closet aims to widen the customer base for exclusive luxury brands by providing a trusted source for gently used luxury goods. We offer items that were guaranteed to be authentic and could serve as an affordable alternative to replicas (yuck!).
At Yoogi’s Closet, we’re experts in distinguishing the “wanna-bes” from the “real deal.” Determining the authenticity of an item is a mix of art and science. We look at every single detail: serial numbers, stampings, symmetry, stitching, hardware, authenticity and date stamps, as well as overall workmanship and materials are thoroughly inspected by our team of in-house experts.