Just Launched, eBay Authenticate

by

Nearly 10 months after it was announced, eBay Authenticate launches! This has been such a long time coming and while their platform is the largest one in need of authentication support, I’m excited to see how this all unfolds and whether sellers will actually opt in for authentication.

When buyers shop for a designer item, it only takes a bit of doubt to keep them from purchasing—and that’s not surprising, given the amount of replicas on the market and the significant cost of authentic designer goods. To make sure they’re getting the real deal, buyers might spend a significant amount of time assessing the item, looking for clues that it’s authentic, and evaluating the trustworthiness of the seller and the selling platform before making a purchase. Even then, they might have enough lingering doubt to keep them from purchasing.

For sellers, the experience has been nearly as complex. While some sellers have become experts in certain brands, they might lack expertise in others. Plus, they might worry about returns from buyers falsely claiming an item is not authentic. eBay Authenticate was designed to alleviate the guesswork for both buyers and sellers, protect sellers from fraud, and attract more buyers to shop with confidence on eBay.

teaserauth.jpg

Sellers who use eBay Authenticate will have their items vetted and inspected by a professional authenticator. The listing will indicate that the item is authentic—and backed by a 200% guarantee—which will help increase buyer confidence, reduce the buyer’s perception of risk, and reduce the number of buyer questions. For sellers, eBay Authenticate will provide protection from scammers who falsely claim inauthenticity.

Here’s how it works:

  • Sellers opt in when they start listing an eligible item on eBay.
  • Sellers ship their item to experts for free (mail-in or drop-off at a participating FedEx Office).
  • Independent industry experts verify the item’s authenticity, then photograph and list it.
  • When the item sells, it is shipped to the buyer in luxe packaging with a card stating the item’s authenticity.
  • A 20% fee is deducted from the selling price, and the seller receives the remaining 80%. For a limited time (until January 31, 2018), sellers receive 90% of the selling price.

eBay Authenticate is powered by industry experts who carefully verify each item’s authenticity using both the item’s digital fingerprint and a careful examination of the item.

For now, eBay Authenticate is available only to select sellers, starting with luxury handbags and wallets. The program will expand to other items and a wider group of sellers and categories in 2018. Brands eligible for the program include: Louis Vuitton, Hermès, Chanel, Gucci, Céline, Fendi, Christian Dior, Prada, Goyard, Balenciaga, Burberry, and Valentino.

Another feature soon to come: If a seller hasn’t opted into the authentication program, the buyer can elect to have the item inspected. In this case, the buyer pays the fee, but otherwise, the process is the same.

eBay Authenticate was designed to increase buy-in and consumer trust in eBay purchases and give sellers greater confidence in selling luxury items. For sellers, it uncomplicates the process of selling a luxury item. The experts do all the work of verifying the item’s authenticity, listing it, and shipping it. Sellers get the boost of having their item authenticated by experts and backed by a 200% money-back guarantee. For buyers, it’s a no-brainer—they can shop with confidence knowing the item is authentic.

For a limited time, try eBay Authenticate for a reduced fee. Through January 31, 2018, sellers receive 90% of the final selling price.

This is how the program works:

 

 

 
I cannot find if Ebay Final Value Fees are included in the 20% or if that is on top of it. Will update post when I have an answer. Below is their FAQ:

What is eBay Authenticate?

eBay Authenticate is a program designed to give you greater confidence in selling luxury items, and to give buyers greater confidence in purchasing them.

The program is powered by independent industry experts, who carefully verify each item’s authenticity, then list, sell, and ship it to the buyer.

We’re kicking-off with luxury handbags in 2017 and will expand to other luxury categories in 2018.

How does eBay Authenticate work?

  1. Select “Sell with eBay Authenticate” when you start listing your eligible luxury handbag.
  2. Send your handbag to industry experts. You have two, totally free options:
    • Mail it yourself: Print a free, pre-paid shipping label, and use it to ship your handbag via USPS.
    • Drop it off: Bring your handbag to any participating FedEx Office location, and they will pack and ship it to the experts for you—for free!
  3. Independent industry experts verify your luxury handbag’s authenticity, then photograph, list, sell, and ship it to its buyer.
  4. When your handbag sells, a 20% fee is deducted from the selling price, and you receive the remaining 80%.

As a business seller, can I participate in eBay Authenticate?
eBay Authenticate is currently available to consumer sellers through our quick listing tool. We are working to expand access to eBay Authenticate to our business sellers as soon as possible.

I tried listing my handbag with eBay Authenticate but didn’t see an option for it. Why not?
eBay Authenticate is currently available to consumer sellers through our quick listing tool for handbags and wallets worth $500 or more from the following luxury brands: Louis Vuitton, Hermès, Chanel, Gucci, Céline, Fendi, Christian Dior, Prada, Goyard, Balenciaga, Valentino, and Burberry. For a limited time, you can send in handbags worth $250 or more from eligible brands.

We will expand to other luxury brands and categories in 2018.

What happens if my handbag can’t be authenticated?
If your handbag’s authenticity can’t be verified, it will be shipped back to you for free.

Is there a fee?
A 20% fee is deducted from the selling price, and you receive the remaining 80%.

What items are eligible for eBay Authenticate?
Handbags and wallets worth $500 or more from the following luxury brands are eligible for the program: Louis Vuitton, Hermès, Chanel, Gucci, Céline, Fendi, Christian Dior, Prada, Goyard, Valentino, Balenciaga, and Burberry. For a limited time, you can send in handbags worth $250 or more from eligible brands.

We will expand to other luxury brands and categories in 2018.

What condition should my luxury handbag be in?
New and pre-owned handbags in excellent or like-new condition are eligible for eBay Authenticate. See previous FAQ for a complete list of eligible brands.

Does it cost me anything to send in my handbag to eBay Authenticate?
You pay no shipping costs when selling with eBay Authenticate. In fact, you have two, totally free options to send in your handbag:

  • Mail it yourself: Print a free, pre-paid shipping label, and ship your handbag in any box via USPS.
  • Drop it off: Bring your handbag to any participating FedEx Office location, and they will pack and ship it to the experts for you—for free!

How and when do I get paid?
You’ll get paid via PayPal within two business days of the buyer paying for the handbag.

Do I need a PayPal account in order to get paid?
Yes, a PayPal account is required to get paid. If you don’t have a PayPal account, you’ll receive an email with instructions on how to set one up once you opt in to eBay Authenticate.

What happens if my handbag is lost or damaged before it sells?
In the unlikely event that your handbag gets lost or damaged, please call eBay Customer Service at 1-855-USE-EBAY.

How will my handbag be priced with eBay Authenticate?
Industry experts research pricing for similar handbags sold on eBay within the last 90 days and price yours accordingly.

How long will my handbag be listed on eBay? What happens if it doesn’t sell?
Handbags with this program are listed for up to 60 days. If it hasn’t sold after 60 days, it’s returned to you for free.